I would describe myself as a firm believer in my Indian cricket team. But this Australian tour coming on the back of the hammering received in England has shaken up the Indian cricket supporter in me as well. As the tour went by I had absolutely no enthusiasm in switching on the TV to watch the match. Similarly often forgot about checking the net for the scores while at work. Tried to avoid opening cricinfo on coming back from work. None of the players may have retired so far but after this Australian tour I am certainly thinking of taking retirement from from active cricket following. But within hours of the end in Adelaide came the Pakistani victory in UAE and the enthusiasm got a bit restored.
Everyone I read is going hammer and tongs at the team. Calling for drastic action, yet no one knowing what the action should be. Calls have been made for the seniors to be dropped (me also did the same), some have asked for a ban on IPL (too drastic, too much money), restructuring of the Ranji Trophy (my suggestion 3 levels of 9 teams each, no Duleep trophy or Deodhar Trophy), firing Duncan Fletcher (probably the easiest job and most likely to happen), overhaul of BCCI (how?).
Oh I digress...
This post was meant to be finding positives from this disaster. And surprisingly I could think of a few. And they are
- The fast bowlers (Zaheer, Ishant, Umesh) stayed fit throughout the 4 tests. And they did have loads of bowling to do in the series. At least someone looks to be doing the job properly.
- We have bowlers who can bowl above 150 Kmph. Ishant & Umesh both crossed the barrier.
- Virat Kohli shows that he has the fight in him. The century in Adelaide should do him some good.
- Zaheer out-sledged Haddin.
- Shaun Marsh may have been reduced to playing in IPL only or he like a phoenix he may rise from these Ashes and score 30 Test centuries for Australia.
- Ricky Ponting has become more vulnerable and somehow more likeable.
- Sachin Tendulkar not getting the 100th 100. I might be the only Indian supporter who was happy that SRT did not reach the so called landmark Too much useless hype on a meaningless stat.
- And...Rahul Dravid gave a good speech to start the tour. CertainlyTHE highlight for India.
Well thats it, no more positives from the series.
P.S. Dear Indian team, please always remember, the Indian fan will always support you. Thanks for all the good memories.