It had been built up as a revenge series by the broadcasters. And Team India certainly have paid back with interest (only for the ODI leg so far). Here are the thoughts for today's game at Eden Gardens and the series as a whole.
- Dhoni enhanced his finisher reputation. The big sixes were back and he stayed not out as well. His average may have been boosted by the large number of not outs but isn't not getting out one of the criterion for a good batsman. (A post by The Old Batsman on the subject is here).
- Rahane is looking impressive without having got that BIG one as yet. Also he is unlucky that Kieswetter keeps taking stunning catches to dismiss him when normally his keeping has been of the Kamran Akmalesque quality.
- Manoj Tiwary has been having a pretty weird international career. Injured during practice on the eve of his debut series and since then has played 5 matches across 4 series spread over a 4 year period.
- England had an awesome opening partnership followed by one of the most stunning collapses. 128 for none followed by 47 for 10.
- Varun Aaron takes his 4th international wicket. Interestingly all 4 bowled which starts the slide for the Poms.
- Ian Bell finally played and scared the rest of the English lineup by failing to read Jadeja's spin.
- Some apologies for the years of abuse heaped on Ravindra Jadeja.
- In short England caught in a spin web and spun out. England in India have been worse than India's in England (only comparing the ODI parts so far)
- India still missing most of the big guns and their first choice replacements as well. On the other hand England did not have Broad & Anderson, though they wouldn't have made too much of a difference.
Payback still remains. This is only the appetizer. It won't be satisfied till the Tests thrashing is also avenged.
P.S. Malcolm Waller missed out on a well deserved century as he finished on 99* to take Zimbabwe to a thrilling one wicket victory over the Kiwis.
P.P.S. Wishing all readers a very Happy Diwali.